Cultivate a Good Life
138: 6 Ways to Connect With Your Teen
Teenagers can be deeply challenging AND amazing! As parents, sometimes it feels like the years between childhood and adulthood go by in the blink of an eye and the stress of teaching our children all the things in that time period can feel overwhelming. This week Becky P. breaks it down and discusses some specific areas parents can focus on when cultivating a deep and lasting connection with their teens. We’re also grateful to our friend Heidi Stanger for being a part in this conversation as we talk about our role as parents, providing a safe space for our children, and helping them discover their own path.
SPONSOR: As proponents of lifelong learning, we are so excited to be offering shorter, bite-sized courses in the BH Classroom. Our newest course, Documenting 101, can be completed in just 45 minutes and is available for only $20! Visit [classroom.beckyhiggins.com](https://classroom.beckyhiggins.com/) to learn more!
6 Areas of Consideration when Connecting with Teens:
1. Vocalization of validating behaviors. Switch the focus from you to them.
2. Stop thinking about characteristics as good or bad.
3. Talk to them like an adult.
4. Encourage them to find their own answers.
5. Stop doing for them what they can do for themselves.
6. Let your kids talk (even if it’s at 2am).
Listen to Episode 051: [Kids + Agency (with Merrilee Boyack)](https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/051-kids-agency-with-merrilee-boyack/id1438937435?i=1000448571229)
Becky P.’s Book Recommendations for Teens:
1. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey
2. Automatic Habits by James Clear
3. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
4. You Don’t Have to Learn Everything the Hard Way by Laya Saul
5. Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex and Brett Harris
6. The 6 Most Important Decisions You’ll Ever Make by Sean Covey
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM: @BeckyHigginsLLC and @BeckyProudfit.
THANKS FOR THE LOVE! Love the podcast? Please share with your friends, tag us in your Instagram stories, and leave a review on iTunes!
Brought to you by Becky Higgins & Becky Proudfit of Cultivate a Good Life